If you’re looking for a driving adventure holiday in Northern Europe you will be delighted to know that there are hundreds of campsites located all over the continent offering many facilities to keep the whole family entertained for the duration of your stay.
In the following article we are going to look at a wonderful campsite located just to the North of Paris in France called Le Croix de Vieux Point which promises to be a real family adventure in Europe.
Le Croix De Vieux Point
Situated in beautiful countryside between the towns of Compiegne and Soissons, Le Croix de Vieux Point is a campsite that offers something for everyone to enjoy during your stay. Below is a list of the facilities your and your family can expect to enjoy during your stay.
To begin with there are 3 amazing swimming pools, a larger more adult themed pool which also has a thrilling slide leading to it. Plus a smaller childrens pool with slides as well as a water park for children to run around and enjoy all the squirting water features which will keep your children entertained for hours.
Outside there is a further large pool to enjoy during the Summer months which comes with Jacuzzi’s and fountains.
The swimming pools are free to enter with just a small fee applicable if your wish to use the locker facilities. The swimming pools tend to be open for a few hours in the morning and in the afternoon so it is worth checking the opening times upon your arrival.
Le Croix De Vieux Point is home to two man made lakes which offer a variety of watersports for your to participate in such as fishing or hiring pedalos and rowing boats all for a reasonable price.
There is also a beach area around one of the lakes which provides your with an opportunity to soak in some rays, build a few sandcastles or take your inflatable for a dip.
There are also many more facilities for you to enjoy including:
- Ten Pin Bowling and Laser Quest – Situated next to the main bar on the campsite behind the swimming pool complex are both Ten Pin Bowling lanes and Laser Quest where you can take advantage of being competitive with your fellow family members.
- Mini Golf – enjoy a fun round of mini golf surrounded by the beautiful Picardy countryside.
- Archery – learn a new skill and master your skills by attempting archery.
- Adventure Playground – allow the children to burn off their endless amounts of energy in the play area situated next to the lake.
- Bike Hire – Le Croix de Vieux Point is set in an area steeped in history. As you exit the site you can still see the bullet marks from the Great War in the buildings opposite so why not hire a bike and explore the local area.
- Table Tennis – burn off some more energy with a game of table tennis.
- Climbing Wall – If your are either brave or fit enough why enjoy the climbing wall and zip wire facilities on offer.
A small additional fee does apply to most of the above however when compared to potential cost in fuel of going out and taking into account the amount of fun which could be had by all, then there are definitely advantages to spending at least a day of your holiday on the campsite and enjoying the facilities on offer.
Bars and Restaurants
There are two bars, a restaurant, a takeaway and a shop on site which should meet all your families needs. The two bars are located at opposite ends of the park. There is the main bar behind the swimming pool which offers a wide range of drinks and has a terrace outside. If you wish to watch live sports they can either be viewed in the bar area or downstairs in the cellar area.
The beach bar is more of a scenic bar and is situated next to the man made beach and lake. This is at the opposite end of the park to the entrance and is located near the safari tents. On a glorious day you can relax on the terrace of the beach bar and enjoy watching the kids play on the beach.
If you wish to dine out then there are both restaurant and takeaway facilities on site. The restaurant is quite pricey but does offer a good variety of food at a good standard and the takeaway facility offers all your favourites such as pizzas and chips.
The onsite shop has a little gem of a bakery within it which is well worth a visit first thing in the morning for some freshly baked croissants and baguettes. If you would like a wider variety of choice there is also a local supermarket in the village or there is a large Carrefour supermarket as your enter the town of Soissons.
If you are looking to eat out locally away from the campsite then the local village, Vic-Sur-Aisne has a lovely square filled with several restaurants and cafes which are worth a visit. Alternatively if your come out of the campsite by car and turn immediately right you will discover a real hidden gem of a restaurant around 10 minutes down the road on the left-hand side called Chez Michelin where you will find excellent food and fantastic hospitality at an excellent price. If you are planning a trip to Chez Michelin it is advisable to book ahead as it can get full quite quickly.
There are various types of accommodation to take advantage of at Le Croix De Vieux Pont to suit all budgets and comfort needs. Below is a list of potential accommodation options available to your during your stay at this campsite.
- Camping – There are many pitches available therefore feel free to bring your own tent and make your holiday a real family adventure by enjoying the great outdoors. Prices can include pitches with electricity and without.
- Caravan and Motorhomes – As with camping there are many spaces available and prices can include electricity and access to water points. Dogs are also welcome for a small supplement.
- Safari Tents – Situated near the beach bar area the safari tents provide your with all the luxuries your would expect to find in a caravan but within a tent such as superior beds, a full kitchen and a wooden terrace to sit and chill in the evening.
- Static Caravans – With the site are a wide variety of caravans available for hire from fairly basic to luxury. Please note that most caravans do not contain a television unlike if your holiday in the UK therefore it is advisable to pack up those tablets if the children are in tow. However, most caravans do come with self-contained decking and a BBQ.
- Lodges and Apartments – For a real luxurious stay you can stay in either an onsite lodge or apartment where your will be well supplied with all your home comforts.
- Tree House – If you are looking for accommodation with a difference then why not choose a tree house. It’s definitely not the cheapest option available however there are not many opportunities when you can tell your family ad friends that you are off to stay in a tree house
How to Enjoy a Valuable Stay
Le Croix de Vieux Pont is served by many companies who have a variety of accommodation types on this site. Most notable companies include Eurocamp, Hoseasons, Canvas Holidays and VenueHolidays. It always worth looking on each companies website to see whether there are any current offers as well as signing up to their mailing lists so that your can be made aware should any offers become available.
As there are many other campsites within Europe to stay at it may be worth perusing what other sites you could potentially stay at with the same company to extend your holiday and potentially reduce your cost per night outlay.
For those living in the UK, your can also check out the sites availability on Sun £9.50 holiday deals. This can offer quite a saving and there also additional deals to be taken advantage of such as reduced prices for the ferry crossing across the English Channel.
Finally, it goes without saying that if you are looking for the cheapest deal possible then it will always be cheaper to travel off-peak out of the school holiday season.
Situated just to the north of Paris there are many attractions nearby for your visit which makes this site such a popular site to visit. Below is just a few of the places and sites you may wish to choose to visit:
- Paris – Capital city of France and some would say the most romantic city in the world is around an hour and a half’s drive away. In Paris you can take advantage of the opportunity to visit world renowned sites such as the Eiffel Tower, Notre Damme, l’Arc d’Triomphe, cruise the River Seine plus much more. Please note that if you are not confident driving into Paris that the campsite offer coach trips on certain days of the week.
- Euro Disney – Enjoy a really magical day out at either Disneyland Paris and it’s adjacent Hollywood Studios Park which are both situated within an hour and a half’s drive away. As with a trip to Paris if you are not confident in driving to Euro Disney then the campsite also offers trips to Euro Disney. For further details please check out our article regarding Euro Disney
- Parc Asterix -Theme Park based on the comic book Asterix with many rides and shows to keep the whole family entertained for the whole day.
- Compiegne – A beautiful little market town to the west of Le Croix de Vieux Pont and situated on the Oise River.
- Soissons – Situated to the east of Le Croix De Vieux Pont, Soissons is one of France’s most ancient towns and is bigger than Compiegne. If visiting Soissons it is recommended to visit Cathedrale Saint-Gervais Saint-Protais which is stunning gothic Cathedral.
- Reims – The largest city located nearest to Le Croix de Vieux Pont is well worth a visit to admire it’s Cathedrals or maybe take in a Champagne tour.
- War Cemeteries – The area surrounding Le Croix de Vieux Pont is littered with War Cemeteries for various nationalities. They are often located at the sides of roads and are well worth a visit to pay your respects and to appreciate the enormity of the sacrifices made by those who have fought and sadly lost their lives in war.
- Chateau de Pierrefonds – Located just outside the Compiegne Forest is Chateau de Pierrefonds which is a magical castle and was also the setting of Camelot in the BBC programme Merlin.
- Armistice Carriage – Located between Vic-Sur-Aisne and Compiegne is the Armistice Carriage Museum. Here your can visit the spot and view a replica carriage where the Armistice was signed to bring an end to World War 1.
Due to its remote location it would be advisable to travel by vehicle to Le Croix De Vieux Pont. It is possible to fly and hire a car with the nearest airport being Beuavais which is 86km away.
If driving you can either catch the ferry from Dover or Folkestone to Calais. The Port of Calais is located around 150 miles from Le Croix De Vieux Pont therefore it is around a two and a half hours drive to the campsite. The French roads tend to be quieter than British roads therefore there is a good chance your will have a smooth journey once your arrive in France.
Offers for ferries can be found by checking comparison sites such as aferry.co.uk. It also worth checking whether any companies such as P&O or Stena Line are offering any deals.
Le Croix de Vieux Point – Is it Worth a Trip
If you are looking a fantastic budget holiday abroad with a sense of adventure which provides an opportunity to visit major cities such as Paris & Reims as well as plan a trip to Euro Disney then a stay at Le Croix De Vieux Pont is definitely for you.
There is something for everyone at Le Croix De Vieux Pont and you will not be bored whether your choose to spend your days on site of explore the local area.
If you have any additional queries or comments regarding the above article, please leave them below and I will endeavour to come back to you.